Sunday, March 8, 2009

March


This month I celebrate one of the aspects of our life together that my husband Gordon and I really enjoyed: traveling. During our 35-year marriage, we travelled in the US, Canada, and Europe. We lived in Germany for a year while I was a Fulbright exchange teacher and travelled there at least 8 more times with my students as part of an exchange program. After I retired, we discovered 'cruising' and figured out how to cruise on a retirement budget. We both enjoyed seeing new places and meeting new people together.


My square this month illustrates our last international trip together, a trip to Ireland in August 2005. My husband hated to have his picture taken, so I suspect his gesture reflects a "you better not be taking my picture" attitude. We were waiting for our tour of Newgrange (pictured in the background), a monolithic tomb, a bit northwest of Dublin. I found the coin among his things. The "photo corners" are beads that I used in a necklace that I made for him after the trip. I miss my travel partner.


As a result of our travels I have many wonderful memories and recollections of grand adventures together. It's nearly 9 months since my husband's passing. At this stage in the grieving process, I find that all those experiences are just a thought away. They will always be in my mind to offer comfort, provide inspiration, make me laugh, or any number of other needs and emotions. For example, my husband loved eggs and ham, so he thoroughly enjoyed the Irish breakfast. But I could never get him to even taste the fried tomatoes that typically come with an Irish breakfast. Neither one of us could ever figure out how pork n' beans came to be on the Irish breakfast plate either. Just little, funny, quirky memories of a lifetime together....


Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! Celebrate with a shot of Jameson's Irish Whiskey as Gordon did in the distillery in Dublin!


Jeanette Shanigan

9 comments:

Brenda said...

As I have been following your BJP and your grieving process, this month here is the one where I feel a crack in the sorrow. I can feel the good memories flood through that crack. You have been so brave to let us be a part of it.
Thank you

Julie said...

Oh, this is just a nice picture of your husband. I actually feel like your allowing us to know him. He was a good man. Thanks for letting us in to grieving world. Im learning a lot from you. Julie C

Robin said...

This is so creative, Jeanette... the way you did the pictures and integrated the coin. It's beautiful... I just clicked to enlarge, studied it, went back to regular mode, read your post, cliked to enlarge again, studied Gordon's face, which surely shows the imp in him, went back to regular again, decided I wanted one more look and clicked to enlarge for the third time... This may be a first for me. I love your work and am gateful to you for sharing this time in your life. You miss both these wonderful men so much, yet you are willing to let us see what that look like. Thank you. Love, Robin

KV said...

The simplicity of this piece says so much, Jeanette. And I, too, enjoyed the chance to get a glimpse of your husband -- thank you for sharing so much with all of us.


Kathy V in NM

KM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KM said...

HI Jannette, I am so glad you have those lovely memories. It is such a blessing. I am sorry for your loss, I know it is so hard. You are in my prayers.

about the Breast Cancer Bead Quilt. I tried to email you through your website but it denied sending my hotmail account email. I was very proud and happy to participate last year and was very eager to participate this year too. Ironically, this year I too was diagnosed with breast cancer and am currently going through chemo treatments. It's been rough, but I have finished my quilts for this years bead quilt. I am worried however they will not make it to your house in time before the dead-line. I have sent them out today Priority Mail coming from New York. If you could wait for them to arrive, I would appreciate it so much. It really means a lot to me to be a participant especially this year. Thanks so much, Karen Hanlon

pam T said...

Oh this page is so hauntingly beautiful! I too am sensing a "crack" in the grief, and only hope you continue to heal as time passes. Thank you so much for sharing with everyone.

heidibeads said...

What a lovely, creative page and a wonderful way to remember all the travelling you've done. What fun you had. Hugs to you for sharing your grief and your love.

CC said...

What a wonderful tribute to your travel partner! I think he would've liked it in spite of not liking his picture being taken! Thank you for sharing with us!
Warmest aloha,
CC